In France the hot chocolate is extra thick and rich. This can be achieved by either using more cream, or more high quality chocolate, but this recipe does both. It’s especially delicious when you add homemade marshmallows, which it turns out originated in Egypt and were invented around 2000 B.C.! Who knew?! I flavored mine with almond extract, but next time I will replace it with peppermint in both the hot chocolate and the marshmallows.
Serves 4 moderate chocolate lovers or 2 chocoholics
Almond Chocolat Chaud
- 3/4 C Chopped dark chocolate
- 2 C milk
- 1 C half & half
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 T. sugar
- Heat milk and half & half in saucepan until just before boiling
- Pour hot milk mixture over chocolate in blender and let chocolate melt
- Add almond extract and sugar and blend until chocolate is completely blended into milk
- Top with almond marshmallows
Homemade Almond Marshmallows
I used this recipe from Smitten Kitchen for my marshmallows, and substituted the vanilla with almond extract. I sprinkled mine with crushed almonds before I let them set and cut them out with a heart shaped cookie cutter.